Re:[teacherartexchange] altered books-attitude

---------

From: Ellen Burnside (ellenburnside_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 08 2005 - 03:37:20 PDT

I think the kids will know if you aren't that into the class and they won't
be either. Also, how can you teach something you don't know? Have you done
any altered books yourself? I find taking classes and workshops once in a
while helps build my reportoire of art skills. Often I pull bits and pieces
of ideas from whatever class I take to use in my teaching. What kind of
introduction did you give for the altered books? Maybe doing a project or
exercise in warm and cool colors, composition, etc would help. Without some
basics I think most people who don't "feel artistic" would be lost. Having
each student pick a theme for their book might also be helpful in giving
them a direction. As for latch hook rugs, I love them but I would stay away
from them in art class...unless you have them paint their own picture on the
grid first. Otherwise, it's not really art (an aesthetics debate of course!)
and just becomes a manual dexterity skill. -Ellen B