Re:[teacherartexchange] classroom management/loud voices

---------

From: jane mary (mjart49_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 15:15:10 PDT

Hi,
I have a similiar system as your Green, yellow, and red signs. The only
difference is if the T in ART,(same as your Red sign),is turned over, I have
a choice of heads down or I can put my timer on for 5 min. for no talking.
We only have 30 min. classes once ever 3 days so I hate to not have them
make art every possoble moment! They actually like the timer and will ask me
to put it on anytime- even at the beginning of their work time. Another
suggestion- don't wait for the noise level to get too high before you turn
the green over. Kids actually like to work in a quiet room. I have been
quilty of waiting too long too. We get so busy doing things that noise can
get away from us.

Also, we had picture day this week and a day off for kids tomorrow. It
doesn't take much to get them off track and riled up! I stopped a 3rd grade
dead in their tracks and said we need to review the ru;les of the art room.
It took 5 min. but was worth it. The rest of the class was fine.
MJHadley