Re: [teacherartexchange] Working on my plan

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 14:54:38 PDT

I don't know what age level you are working with, but for my elementary
students they either finish a project or they don't. If a student misses one
day of art then chances are they aren't going to get that particular project
finished unless I give them a "catch up day". For upper levels (MS/HS) I
judge my those middle level students on when a project is due. The slow ones
will be slow no matter when the project is due, and the quick ones will
hurry through, so when I set a due date I plan on when the majority of the
class can comfortably finish. And unless a child has an IEP that affects my
class directly I don't even necessarily know who those students are - many
times I am surprised that a child is in special ed because of their
performance in my class. If the children who have IEPs in your class are
struggling to finish then my guess is you need a para in the room helping
those students. You shouldn't be arranging your entire curriculum to cater
to the IEPs.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids