Re:[teacherartexchange] classroom management/loud voices

---------

From: marcia (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 06:57:06 PDT

Hello everyone. I too am struggling with finding a
classroom discipline plan that works for me. I'm not
having huge problems, just some noise issues and minor
disruptions. I'm a first year elementary art teacher,
previously I taught middle school art for a few years.
 I never realized how different it was! I had a
kindergarten teacher tell me that her class was being
too loud and I need to come down harder on them. So,
I've come up with a plan and I'm hoping it will work..
 What I did was make three circles, one red, one
yellow and green (like a stoplight of course). On the
green one I wrote "Great Job". On the yellow one I
wrote "Warning" and the Red one I wrote "Stop, heads
down". What I'm going to do is similar to what some
of you do. Green is when everything is going great.
Yellow is when the class is becoming too noisy. If
the card gets flipped to yellow, the class will only
be allowed to use whispering voices. If the class
improves then it might get flipped back to green. If
the class gets worse, then we will go to red which
will mean we will lay our heads on the table and take
a silent break for a few minutes. I don't want them
to put away everything and stop working, but I want
them to know I mean business. Also, I'm going to do a
similar thing for individuals.. give them a yellow
warning slip when they have a warning. Then if they
continue to misbehave they will go to an individual
time out or other consequence. Any other ideas??