[teacherartexchange] comics as teaching tools

---------

From: Amanda Linn (toasterart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 05:45:27 PDT

When I started at my new school last year I noticed
one of my Drawing III students had a real knack for
composition- her artworks were always organized in the
most interesting, dynamic formats. I mentioned this to
one of the other art teachers who replied "its
probably because she looks at a lot of comic books".
The more I looked at her work, I saw elements of
composition displayed in a way that is sometimes
difficult to see in a "masterwork" (or at least my
students were not engaged as much by the older
images). SO with that as a jumping off place, I am
working with one of the English teachers at our school
to develop a unit addressing sequential imagery and
storytelling. I plan to pair the elements seen in
comic imagery with traditional works of art to
hopefully help the students see the connection. I know
this isn't a new idea, but the English teacher and I
are both excited about the prospects. We are also
going to apply for a grant from a local organization
to buy materials (comic books, art
reproductions,etc.). I'd be interested in emailing
with anyone who has done something like this before OR
knows something about comic books (old and new).

I would also suggest Roger Shimomura (sp?) as someone
who merges pop culture imagery into his art.

Amanda Linn

What does education often do? It makes a straight-cut ditch of a free, meandering brook.
Henry David Thoreau