Re: [teacherartexchange] Cartoons in painting

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 17:44:30 PDT

Greetings,

I agree with Harold:

> Use the lovely projects as exemplars and let the students see what you expect.

...but also take the ones with the cartoon images and make a lesson
with those as well - "make lemonade"....

Here is an artist who has done some wonderful work with cartoon images
(even some Disney ones!).
http://fujikoisomura.womanmade.net/
Fujiko Isomura - Born in Tokyo, Japan - now living in San Diego CA.
Mixed media collage with gold leaf and photography. See more of The
Art of Fujiko Isomura
http://webpages.charter.net/crrey/fujiko/
Talk about copyright - and appropriation - parody and homage.

One of my favorite works of hers is "Are you a Good Witch or a Bad Witch?"
http://webpages.charter.net/crrey/fujiko/gallery/goodw.html
You can be a "good witch" or a "bad witch" in how you handle this
lesson with the kids. Look at Fujiko's work and see how the work with
the cartoon images are very much about her identity. How can you turn
the student work with the cartoon characters into a lesson about
identity - then move on. Rather than turning them off completely,
accept their interpretation of the lesson and stretch their ideas.

There seems to be some interest in this lesson of yours. Would you be
interested in submitting it to Incredible Art Department. Include some
images of student work.

Regards,

Judy Decker