Re: [teacherartexchange] Teaching overseas

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 12:29:52 PDT

Dear Doug,
I have been teaching overseas since 2000. Prior to then I was teaching in
Milwaukee, WI. I currently am the tech coordinator at the International
School of Belgrade, Serbia (former Yugoslavia).
There are DoDA schools as you mentioned, but to get a real international
"flair" in the school and your student population, I would recommend
international schools. There typically is at least one in every country.
These schools are private and independent. Non-profit schools tend to be
better - more focused on student needs.
1. Depending on your areas of certification, competition in hiring teachers
can be quite stiff. Areas of particular need include library, PE, and music,
and of course, higher-level math and science.
2. Native English speakers are indeed preferred. Proficiency is required by
all, as English is the dominant language of instruction in the schools.
3. Most contracts are for 2 years, with many giving an option to renew.
Local tax laws and visa/residency requirements may influence how long a
person can stay.
4. For an overseas hire, recruiters are looking for someone who is certified
in the area (s)he plans on teaching and has a bachelor's degree. Some
require several years of teaching experience, while most others prefer it.
Travel or living overseas experience is highly beneficial, as is being able
to speak another language.
5. Salaries vary immensely. You cannot simply look at the $ figure, as there
are many factors that influence what you actually keep. Always ask what the
savings potential is. For example, in many European countries (such as
Germany), the salary is higher (I know one school in Germany that has
salaries around $70,000), but your cost of living is quite high. Does the
school pay for your housing? Annual flight home? Utilities? Shipping of
belongings? Insurance?
At ISB (where I am currently working), I get free housing, full utilities
paid (except phone), annual flight home, am not (at least currently) taxed
by the local govt on my income, and they had a fairly generous shipping
allowance. Cost of living for food, transportation, etc. isn't as expensive
as other places in Europe, so the amount I can save is greater. In Mali and
Tunisia (where I was before), I saved well over half my salary.
6. Speaking a foreign language is desirable, but not a hiring requirement.
You should be open to learning at least the basics of the language though.
7. Varies. Germany is very expensive. I believe you also have to pay into
the social system, which eats a big amount of your paycheck.
8. Some countries require a visa prior to entry. All will require some sort
of work permit. The school has always assisted in this matter.

Two good recruitment fairs:
http://www.uni.edu/placemnt/overseas/ - smaller but a great starting point
for prospective overseas candidates.
http://www.iss.edu/edustaff/jobs.html - the largest fair. Typically attracts
people with at least a few years of overseas teaching experience.

Hope this helps!
Melissa