Re: [teacherartexchange] altered books-attitude: read this version, sorry!

---------

From: Brenda Robson (bruthrobson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 06:23:22 PDT

Gee I won't be using spell check again! Sorry here's
the correct version of my note:

I somehow accidentlly sent my my lesson plans to the
group, so sorry.

My problem is: I am having a hard time getting excited
about my job. Some of you may remember I was
considering full time offer when it was rescinded last
year. Not sure why. They ended up hiring a fine arts
teacher and the kids so far pantpanto-mine after day.
Anyway am having very ambivalent feelings.

Onto my question: I have 2 classes of 28 (my biggest)
6th gthders. I thought altered books would be a crowd
pleaser.
 As I am collecting books and magazines and junk
drawer stuff I began with a torn paper mosaic where
you tear colors from magazines and thought when they
are finished that we could add it to a page in our
books. The kids are not enjoying it much and I took a
vote and about 1/2 want to do the books because they
are realizing it is predominately collage. So I am
considering offering a craft to the others. I thought
about latch hook rugs which I bought all the stuff for
because I inherited a ton of the plastic grids with
printed on pictures.

Problem is: I really don't know how to do latch hooks
or altered books. I found a few good altered book
lesson plans on IAD it still seems too sophisticated
for these kids. I am fearing they are going to just go
to town and end up with a collage nightmare and
nothing to show for our time or effort. They seem to
enjoy looking through all the magazines and stuff more
than working. I can't blame them, my direction has
been strict yet.

 Any suggestions? I am also offering this to 5th
grade. We have a ton of stuff now, ribbon, odds and
ends, puzzles, etc. And large and small children's
books to work with. These are all illustrated.

Thanks in advance and it's good to be back, Brenda