[teacherartexchange] altered books-attitude

---------

From: Brenda Robson (bruthrobson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 06:06:39 PDT

I somehow acciaccidentallyt my lesson plans to the
group, so sorry.

My problem is:
I am having a hard time getting excited about my job.
Some of you may remember I was considering full time
offer when it was rescrescindedt year. Not sure why.
They ended up hiring a fine arts teacher and the kids
so far pantpanto-mine?)spay after day.
Anyway am having very ambiambivalentlings.

Onto my question:
I have 2 classes of 28 (my biggest) 6th gthders.
I thought altered books would be a crowd pleapleas er
As I am collecting books and magazines and junk drawer
stuff I began with a torn paper mosaic where you tear
colors from magazines and thought when they are
finished that we could add it to a page in our books.
The kids are not enjoying it much and I took a vote
and about 1/2 want to do the books because they are
realizing it is predpredominatelylage.

So I am considering offering a craft to the others.
I thought about latch hook rugs which I bought all the
stuff for because I inherited a ton of the plastic
grids with printed on pictures.
Problem is: I really don't know how to do latch hooks
or altered books.

I found a few good altered book lesson plans on IAD
IAD it still seems too sophisticated for these kids.
I am fearing they are going to just go to town and end
up with a collage nightmare and nothing to show for
our time or effort. They seem to enjoy looking
through all the magazines and stuff more than working.
I can't blame them, my direction has been strict yet.

Any suggestions?
I am also offering this to 5th gthde.
We have a ton of stuff now, ribbon, odds and ends,
puzzles, etc. And large and small children's books to
work with. These are all illustrated.

Thanks in advance and it's good to be back,
Brenda