Re: [teacherartexchange] Working on my plan

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 04 2005 - 19:57:34 PDT

Grading is my LEAST favorite part of art. My policy is that I assign a due
date according to when I judge most students will be finished. That due date
is the LAST class period students may work on their project in class. They
have one week from the due date to either come in before school, after
school, during lunch, or to take the project home to get it finished (this
is middle & high school levels). This is all posted on the board so it is
highly visible. At the end of that second week I will collect all the work
and sit down and grade it. I will give a second chance with a 10% dock in
grade for each day late after I have graded. After 10 days the grade is
automatically recorded as a 0. I used to feel guilty, as if it were my fault
the student was failing, but they do make their own choices. They hand in
work every day in other classes, so it's not as if it's a new concept for
them. If it's early in the year I will tell them what is happening to their
grade each day it is "late late". I don't feel it is fair to me to have to
stay hours after school to catch up on grading the students couldn't bother
to turn in when it was due.

> Since so many of them are knuckleheads and never turned
> in work, I have a ton of D's and F's. So, I've made up a grade worksheet.
> Tomorrow I'll have a conference with every student who has a C or below.
> I'll
> have the student bring his or her portfolio and the worksheet. I know
> that
> several of my students did the work but just never turned it in.

Cleanup is always a challenge. What works best for me is that I keep my room
tidy, and then don't let the students leave until they have returned it to
the same condition as when they entered. I check out paint brushes and
palettes, and they are responsible for returning them to me at the end of
the semester or pay for their replacement. I charge $5 for one palette with
lid, and 2 brushes. If they leave one of these in the sink full of paint,
forceing me to wash them then I wash them and then lock them in the cabinet.
That student will now have to pay for it's replacement. I discussed this
with my administrator, and I have complete support, because the brushes
would have dried and been ruined anyways, and washing palettes takes my
time. The students keep shoeboxes in the classroom to store their items in,
and I have never had items stolen from the boxes. This has worked amazingly
well for 2 years now (took me 9 years of frustration and replacing brushes
every year to come up with this plan). I also found that giving Mona Bucks
to those who "step-up" and do extra work has huge benefits as well.

> I'm still trying to come up with a good plan for cleanup.

~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids