Re: [teacherartexchange] Working on my plan

---------

From: Betty B (bettycarol_40_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 04 2005 - 19:22:38 PDT

Stacie, the way I did a group project in art history
without computers (and few of my kids have computers
at home) and almost no art resources in our
library.... I gathered what examples I could, then we
looked at primitive art - cave paintings, etc., from
various cultures. We also looked at Greco Roman and
Renaissance and the Middle Ages. We looked at Ancient
Egyptian, Mesoamerican, Byzantine, Islamic, pan-Asian
art- I made a file for each category - actually I only
started out with a few categories and added as we went
along with part 2.

Part 2 - I hauled out the vast stack of donated
National Geographics, and we cut out anything we found
that we thought fit in one of those categores, and put
them in files (I went through them and re-arranged as
necessary). After a few class periods I could tell
they were starting to clue in a little. Eventually we
had a pretty good collection. Then groups made large
poster-board collages of each file, and we hung them
up in the cafeteria. They looked pretty good.

What they got out of it was that by the end they were
able to identify what file an object might "go with".
They learned that not all "primitive looking" art is
ancient. They learned the similarities of Greek and
Roman art, and that time periods in art history are
not absolute. The could look at something and assess
what part of the world or time period it was
associated with, even if they could not explain why
verbally.

Betty