[teacherartexchange] tessellations and safety

---------

From: ceastman (ceastman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 16:13:57 PDT

i've just rejoined artsednet after a 6-yr hiatus and this entirely new
formattakes some getting used to. hope this message goes to the right
place!
someone mentioned using rubber cement for making tesselations in
elementary grades and a red flag went up. my school district does not
allow rubber cement for elementary student use as it is toxic. you can
view the MSDS (material safety data sheet) for Elmer's Rubber Cement at
http://www.elmers.com/products/product/prod_list.asp?prodCat=2. your
school district must be in compliance with government safety
regulations (OSHA, Hazmat) and you could get into serious trouble if
some kid has an allergic response to the fumes in your classroom.
perhaps this is a good time for all of us to think about the safety of
things we use every day. i've been using old screw-top peanut butter
jars for mixing large quantities of paint and make sure i run them
through the dishwasher twice before i bring them to school... so many
kids with peanut allergies nowadays.
also, thought i'd mention that i do tessellations with 5th/6th graders
using Macintosh AppleWorks Paint. it works great.
nice to be back!
linda in michigan