[teacherartexchange] tessellations

---------

From: marcia (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 15:11:59 PDT

Thank you everyone for all of your advice on
tessellations. I think I'm going to attempt it with
my 2nd grade class. I will do the tessellation in
which you slide the cut out across and glue it to the
other side. I think we will only cut out one side.
Also, I'm thinking that I will lightly draw grid lines
for the kids and photocopy them on larger paper. We
also have some wonderful aides that help us
cut/laminate, so I might have them pre-cut squares
too. I want them to understand the concept of
congruent shapes and tessellations (and connect this
to Escher), but I don't want it to be frustrating for
them or me. I might have them color their
tessellations in patterns or add designs to them.
Marcia