Re: [teacherartexchange] lost sketchbooks

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 15:04:35 PDT

My elementary students leave them in the classroom (during years when I
choose to use them). I have found that once the book leaves the classroom I
never see it again. Middle school and high school students get docked an
assignment grade for each assignment missed or completed outside the
sketchbook. If students lose their book they may come in before school and
make another book. I just expect them to be responsible and they tend to
prove me right in their ability to do one or the other. If they choose to
fail because they lose their book and won't come in before school to make
one, chances are they are failing other classes as well.

Now before I have 1000 e-mails defending the "but what if" students, there
are always exceptions to the rule. The kid who spends the weekend with Dad
and leaves it in Dad's car gets a couple weeks of leeway, but they are
expected to make up the work. Students who know they won't be able to take
care of them may leave them in the art room. My philosophy is that if you
make kids responsible they will take your class more seriously. When I was
more forgiving I ended up with classes of students who just wanted a class
they didn't have to work in. Since I've tightened up my classes are now full
of kids who really enjoy art.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids