RE: [teacherartexchange] Teaching overseas

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 02 2005 - 17:35:05 PDT

http://www.dodea.edu/offices/hr/

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug McGlothlin [mailto:dmcgl@earthlink.net]
Sent: Sunday, October 02, 2005 7:11 PM
To: TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group
Subject: [teacherartexchange] Teaching overseas

Is there anyone on the list, who is a U.S. citizen, and is currently
teaching in a school overseas? I know there are International Schools
and Department of Defense (DoD) schools. Are there any other options?

I'm wondering about:
1. how competitive these schools are in hiring teachers
2. do they prefer native English speakers
3. how long are the employment contracts/assignments
4. minimum hiring requirements
5. salary ranges/benefits
6. is foreign language proficiency necessary
7. housing costs/cost of living
8. work permits/visas necessary

I'm looking at the future and am interested in teaching in Germany. I
had German proficiency, but that was years ago. I would have plenty
of time to reacquaint myself with the language, as teaching overseas
is something I'm looking at 2 - 5 years in the future. Would becoming
a Fulbright exchange teacher be an advantage in getting an overseas job?

Any resources or suggestions you can provide would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Doug in West Palm Beach, FL