[teacherartexchange] tessellations/Escher

---------

From: Nancy Walkup (nwalkup_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 02 2005 - 08:23:01 PDT

On the Ability of Elementary Students to Make Tesselations

Our third grade students are tested by the state on the concept of congruent shapes - repeating shapes that are exactly the same size and shape. Fourth and fifth graders have to know three different kinds of congruent shapes (translations or slides, reflections, and rotation). Tesselations are made from congruent shapes. The simplest congruent shape is a square. With third graders I do tesselations with only one side cut and moved (a slide). Fourth and fifth graders can get more complicated, with two cuts to make their patterns (reflections, rotations). Jim McNeill's demo makes this very clear. If you go step-by-step to have kids make their congruent shape or template, it is not a problem.

Nancy