Re: [teacherartexchange] tessellations/Escher

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 02 2005 - 08:14:15 PDT

Actually, I haven't done this project with lower than 4th grade for years
because of the comprehension problem. However, I was willing to admit that
someone else may have tried something that worked well and I would love to
know the trick. I have tried demonstrating with 12x18" paper, showing them
how to slide the shapes, drawn the images on the board, and made exaggerated
demonstrations of what not to do, but I still had problems with a large
portion of my class not grasping the concept so I quit teaching it with my
2nd grade. It has never fit comfortably with my 3rd grade curriculum so I
haven't tried it with them. Tesselations are actually wonderful for teaching
4th grade Kansas state tested math skills, and the students do fully
understand the concepts. I have done Woody's tesselation project with my 4th
grade for 2 years now (the results are definately elementary level, but
still are wonderful) because when I saw the rise in their math scores in
this area I knew it was a huge plus for my program, to not only teach the
art skills, but to be a part of the school improvement process by teaching
math (yes, I hyped that part up for display, including math vocabulary as
well as art vocabulary). :-)
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> But my confusion is why this would be an appropriate elementary art
experience, given, for instance, Michal's observation of low