Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: September 25, 2005

From: J Well (scherenschnitte442000_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 02 2005 - 05:57:24 PDT

Hi, I've been holding the digest of September 25 all
this time, because there were a few gold nuggets
inside, and here's one: In Mike Sacco's description
of his sketchbook strategy:

"With all entries, I stressed "working the page"
meaning I wanted them to really make maximum use of
the space and activate it as well."

I love that description of what you'd like your
students to do, Mike, and I'd like to steal it. Could
you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by
activating the space? I'm understanding it as
treating the negative spaces of the sketchbook page
consciously rather than as leftover places AND doing
something to those negative spaces to give them some
substance -- varying their value, texture, etc. I'm
curious; where did you pick up those phrases like
'working the page' and 'activating the space'? I find
that some of my best advice to students comes directly
from one of my beloved university mentors -- it's sort
of like I'm a medium. Yes? No? Thanks, J.