[teacherartexchange] discipline for new teachers

---------

From: Ellen Burnside (ellenburnside_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 02 2005 - 04:30:39 PDT

I've been reading Stacie's posts on her trials and tribulations as a new
teacher. I'm a new teacher as well although only part time (2 days a week)
and struggle with some of the same issues. Following through is very
important, and this goes for procedures as well as consequences for breaking
rules. My cooperating teacher told me that the class is mine once they cross
my threshhold regardless of how their teacher brings them down the hall. I
made my eigth grade class practice coming in and sitting down quietly when
they came in noisy last week. Miraculously, the noise level for the rest of
the class period was much lower than it had been the week before. I think
setting the tone is very important. Sometimes I think I yell a lot but my
cooperating teacher tells me I have to right now because I'm establishing
myself. Of course, after I heard the K teacher yell at her class I realized
I don't yell all that much. Most of the time what I think is "yelling" is
just me raising my naturally soft and quiet voice. I feel that in these
first days it's important for me to be stern and strict with my rules yet
balance that with understanding and a sense of humor. I want my students to
know that, although I am strict about rules and procedures, my number one
concern is their perfomance and learning in the class. I show this by
addressing individual concerns and constantly making small comments and
critiques as they are working. I have found the dialogue and suggestions for
Stacie very useful in my own teaching. Thanks to everyone for sharing.