Re:[teacherartexchange] tessellations/Escher

---------

From: Laurie Reber (lareb18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 01 2005 - 17:04:55 PDT

If you do it step by step with them - give them the
index card and have them cut along the top edge after
drawing whatever kind of line they want from corner to
corner. Then have them slide that edge down and let
them tape it right away. Then do the same with the
left edge, having them draw the line first and then
cut it from corner to corner and slide and tape. Then
it just becomes a matter of tracing and cutting. You
can show them how to grid the paper and then it is
just a matter of glueing in every other box. I have
done this many time with 2nd thru 8th and have alwyas
had good results. I have also done Woody's
tesselations, although only with junior high school. I
think if you already have the rhombus traced and
copied on paper, the kids can easily draw in faces
within that rhombus. Then it is just a question of
photocopying them and matching them up into the
hexagon shape. If you help them with the first one, I
think they can handle matching up the faces they drew
and then gluing them down (use rubber cement). Then it
is a matter of coloring them in. A friend of mine did
this with a group of young kids this past summer and
had few problems.
Hope this helps!