Re: Need Help with Fresco

---------

From: jlb (wjbaas_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 14:18:39 PST

Hi Cindy,
I taught Fresco with HS kids every year. It went along with the "Writing
across the Curriculum " thing. There is a great video that I fond( after
many years of teaching) that I got permission to tape from the PBS
station on the life of Michaelangelo. It explained the whole Fresco
process. Of course I had kids lie on their backs and draw on the bottoms
of tables and paint their drawings. That was in the days when educators
could still do that kind of stuff without worrying. I was lucky enough
to have a source of donated drywall. I had students soak their 5x7
piece--which I had to cut-(groan) Students soaked their piece of drywall
approximately 5 min. on pans filled 1" with water. Use just enough to
wet the surface of the paper covering the drywall. This is messy. Of
course kids loved it. I had the students develop a written story about
a mythological character, then draw it, transfer to the drywall and
paint it. All were surprised at how the paint sunk into the plaster so
quickly. Can't hide mistakes either. Great lesson! Kids remember "Mike"
as they call him.

Oops-----We stored the pieces in wrapped plastic bags to retain as much
moisture as possible while working on them

Hope this helps

> I want to introduce my students to plaster and egg tempra as they
> paint BUT I'm worried that if I skip the mortar application that the
> plaster may not adhere I'm afraid the plaster may crack off properly
> to the plywood and slip or crack off. I've tried looking for scrap
> drywall but haven't found anyone willing to donate

---