Art History Conference

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 07:01:10 PST

Last week I attended the two day Southwest Art History Conference XVI
in Taos, New Mexico. It was held at the historic Fechin Inn. I was quite
impressed. We heard 12 presentations on topics like: Ansel Adams, Paul
Strand, Theodore Wores, George Catlin, Frederic Remington, etc. etc.
Rather than being dry and academic, I found the presenters to be casual
and interesting. It was a very worthwhile experience. I found out about it
through my docent class in Albuquerque. This is an annual event in October
and I will attend again. The registration was only $55. This
organization only
exists to put on this annual conference. It's not something you can join.
If anyone wishes information on next year's conference, # 17, just write
to: SWAHC, PO Box 1891, Santa Fe, NM 87504.

The museum in Fechin's home, now a museum, was hosting a watercolor
exhibition, also an annual event. It was superb. I will try to enter slides
of my own work in it next year. Last week, I made new friends, mostly
docents from Santa Fe and had dinner with an old friend CJ Wilson.
Her husband, Wilson, was out of town. Wilson has sculptures on the
grounds at the Fechin. While in Taos, I also shot pics of the beautiful
Fall foliage for my future paintings.

This docent training thing is turning into a very inexpensive continuing
education in the arts. I guess I always wanted to be a life long student.
One of the major reasons I taught was the education that I got out of it.

                                Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703