Art in society

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 07:28:04 PDT

Hi Folks,
   Last night at my relief printmaking class was "movie night." Our prof
got a movie from the library called "I've heard mermaids singing." I think
it was a Canadian production from around 1987. It touches on a lot of
topics related to artists, critics and gallery owners and was viewed from
the perspective of a young woman (who does photography in her flat) who is
hired as a gal Friday to work for a gallery owner. It is a very touching
movie and really holds your attention. I wouldn't recommed it to show to
high school students---college yes. But it would be worth your while to see
how the characters pose some signifigant issues related to the art world.
Then you can adapt what you need for your students. Many of you have written
for ideas on art criticism and this film may be a resource you may find
useful.

                           Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                           Art teacher, K-5, retired

---