self portrait backgrounds

---------

From: K A (arizkma_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 21:19:00 PDT

My second and third graders are finishing beautiful oil pastel self portraits. I'm not sure what to do with the smudged and fingerprinted backgrounds though. If I have them do oil pastel designs over them, I'm concerned that it will take away from the striking portraits. Is there another media I could use for the backgrounds? Or perhaps it would look cleaner to cut out the portraits and put them on another paper and do something else in the background. Who has any suggestions for finishing off a beautiful project? Thank you so much!

~ Kathleen

P.S. I had my first graders cut out their colored pencil self portraits, glue them on a medium sized piece of construction paper and then glue that onto a large sheet of construction paper. They then thumbprinted a border using a black stamp pad, and signed and dated their work. Oh, and they traced around the lines of the portraits with black marker to make the features stand out. The colors of construction paper were light green, pink, yellow and orange. Quite striking pieces! Now I just need to figure out what to do with the oil pastels.