RE: art technique - "stomata" - probably used in error

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 05:52:58 PDT

Linda is right.

Whoever used the word "stomata" instead of "sfumato"
was in error.

Here is one page that has it incorrect:
http://campus.northpark.edu/history/WebChron/WestCiv/DaVinci.CP.html

"The techniques used in the Mona Lisa are known as
stomato and chiaroscuro. Stomata (deriving from the
Latin word for "smoke") , describes the smoky
atmospheric effects from the transitions between
colors. It is evident in the delicate gauzy robe and
in her enigmatic smile. The other technique,
chiaroscuro, refers to the modeling and defining of
forms through the contrast of light and shadow."

Stomata - derived from Latin from Greek , “mouth”
Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2003. ©
1993-2002

Sfumato - From Italian , past participle of sfumare
“to tone down,” literally “to smoke out,” from,
ultimately, Latin fumus “smoke”
Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2003. ©
1993-2002

Leonardo - being the scientist that he was - was
probably also interested in stomata:

Stomata are structures found on leaves that open and
close to control gas exchange and water loss for the
plant. Think of stomata as microscopic pores in the
plant's skin.

Regards,

Judy Decker

 Sfumato IS a