African Art - African Voices - Interactive Exhibit

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 24 2004 - 13:25:06 PDT

Dear Art Educators and African Art Enthusiasts,

Philadelphia Museum of Art has an African Art Exhibit
(Oct 2 - Jan 2). This online interactive is very well
done.

African Art, African Voices [needs Macromedia Flash
Player]
http://www.philamuseum.org/exhibitions/exhibits/africanart/

From the Scout Report (Oct 15):

This website created by the Philadelphia Museum of Art
complements an exhibition that "surveys the artistic
achievements of just a few of the many
cultures of sub-Saharan Africa" organized by the
Seattle Art Museum, using artifacts from its African
collections. The largest section of the Web site,
African Voices, features interviews with African
artists, art historians and others, focusing on
particular aspects of African cultures. For example,
Hannah Kema Foday, a Mende woman from Segbwema,
southwestern Sierra Leone, now living in New York
city, speaks about Sowei masks and initiation for
girls into womanhood. The other two sections - African
Art in Motion and Contemporary African Art, show the
expressive use of figures in African
sculpture and the work of modern African artists,
living in Africa and all over the world, respectively.
[DS]

Music included with some of the images.
Since this is a temporary exhibit, I will not be
linkingit to IAD.

Enjoy.

Judy Decker