Re: Exceptional Elementary Lessons - check TAB CHOICE

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 24 2004 - 08:20:21 PDT

You are right Kathy,

These kind of lessons can be developed for younger
grades too...building more choices within the
lessons....Lessons that include research....It takes
time to develop good lessons like these for younger
students.

Research shows that students are more motivated to
learn when there are choices. Now is a good time to
reflect on how you do things. Some of you are not
ready to go all CHOICE - that is a big step (Nicole is
not a TAB Choice teacher - but builds a lot of choice
into her lessons). Come over to TAB CHOICE list serve
and see if it is right for you. There are some
exceptional Elementary lessons in the list archives.
Find out how you can access them.....but don't take
without sharing back.

To learn more about the TAB-ChoiceArtEd group, please
visit
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TAB-ChoiceArtEd
Subscribe information is on the site. Sign up -
introduce yourself.

Also visit Knowledge Loom Web site:
http://knowledgeloom.org/index.jsp

Kathy has helped many make the transition to Choice.

Judy Decker

From Kathy on Nicole's lessons:

> Wow! These are great, AMAZING. Challenging,
> open-ended, requiring thought and research and
process to make...and best of all,I am sure that
Nicole does not know what these will look like until
the student creates them! The skill and background
of her students is obvious in the finished
product...but this leads me to wonder what effect
these sorts of challenges might have on much
younger and less advanced students...if all of the
art challenges put to students even in the early
years asked students to go deep and Think
Different...if EACH student had to answer the art
question in an individual manner, (more individual
than what color will you make the fish if
we are all making fish). Even if the finished work
was much less polished, even if the questions were
less complex than Nicole's would both students and
teachers would gain so much more. Thanks for sharing
this work. It gives me a lot to think about.

kathy douglas