RE: Room Decoration - How and What

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 08:44:12 PDT

HOW
Some fire inspectors are picky about placing paper near the ceiling.
Construction contractors generally have some left over ceiling tile.
I am guessing they would be happy to donate these. The reverse side
of all tile is flat, smooth, and unpainted. It can be painted with
flat white interior paint as a base for liquid tempera used directly
on the tile. This should be as fire resistant as the original
ceiling. Artist acrylics and oils are probably not as fire retardant
as tempera. The original tile can be stored directly above the art
tile.

WHAT
The Sistine Chapel is great because it educates, it is beautiful, it
leaves an imprint on the mind, it is imaginative (not copy work), and
it was innovative. It inspires and instructs. A decorated ceiling
is a wonderful way to give identity and character to an art room.
What would an educational ceiling look like in an art room if it is
invented and designed by art students for art students? What does it
tell about values? Is it based copy work of art or is it art? What
does this teach about art?

How is imagination motivated? In addition to imagination, creating
art and thinking/behaving artistically requires knowledge, skills,
keen awareness, and so on. Would an educational ceiling inform and
inspire any of the requisites needed to be artistic? A classroom
setting, creatively designed and decorated, like The Sistine Chapel,
inspires and instructs. I would not use a public school room to
instruct in politics, nationalism, or religion, but as the art
edifice, it should instruct and inspire art.

BONUS
An advantage of a dropped tile ceiling is the ability to upgrade. My
Photoshop - release 8 is far superior to Photoshop 4. An artist
often reworks a painting several times before it works. What if the
most advanced students who use the art room are challenged to upgrade
the ceiling every year?

Marvin Bartel
bartelart.com

---