Re: Glazes for elementary school

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 21:49:28 PDT

Fran Legman wrote:
> I am about to order glazes for my K-5 school. This is my first kiln - big
> learning curve. What glazes do you prefer for this age group? Does anyone
> use a slab roller in elementary?

Late in my career I discovered underglazes, after having used overglazes
for so long. The underglazes were much more successful for the types of
work the students were doing (this was HS); they could visualize the
results much better as the color in the jar is closer to the color of
the glaze after it's fired. They don't run and drip like overglazes,
either. I like the matte finish, but if the students wanted a glossy
finish, they could brush clear glaze over it before firing.

If you have the funds for a slab roller, go for it!

Maggie

---