Re: School Arts Magazine

---------

From: Geoffrey McClain (skygeoff_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 17:34:19 PDT

Congratulations Nancy! I'm so glad you'll be the new editor for School Arts
magazine. I have lots of ideas for articles. When I retire two years from
now (I hope), I plan to write them down and try to get them published. I'll
feel better sending things to someone I "know" .
Recently, one discussion on our list has been about decorating art rooms.
I always thought that would make a terrific article or better yet, a book.
People could submit photos of their art rooms or someone could go around the
country taking the pictures. Wouldn't that be an adventure! Whenever I see
photos of student art work I always look at the background of the picture to
see what the room looks like. I'd love to see all the murals, painted
cabinets, reading nooks, ceiling tiles etc. that have been mentioned on our
list.
I'd also love to see photos of more mundane things such as the insides of
closets or the tops of counters. I have a great art bin system this year.
I color coded the bins and the student's chairs and tables. Explaining it
is fine but I bet it would be more helpful if you could see a picture.
I redecorate my room every year to fit my yearly theme. This year is India.
I have paintings, wall hangings, Indian clothes, fabric, dolls, posters,
diva lamps, elephants, peacock feathers, Indian flags and lots more on
display. I enjoy changing it every year because I never get tired of it.
So that's just one idea I've had. It's up for grabs because right now I am
teaching full time and I have a very active seven year old child so I won't
be doing much writing until I retire.
Good luck with the magazine.
Sky in NJ

---