Re: Glazes for elementary school

---------

jean1_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 15:18:49 PDT

A slab roller! That is my dream, but I'm too thrifty to get one. I just
couldn't justify the expense. I did have my uncle make me a tile
cutter. Find the book "HandmadeTiles". I got my copy at Borders
Books. It has a simple design for one made of wood, steel
strips(for the cutting edges), picture wire. I use it for tiles (natch)
but also for slabs when we construct houses.

I use Amaco glazes. I have my favorite colors, but it depends what
you make and how you plan to use them. If you get some that you
don't like, someone else in your department will happily trade. I
gave quite a number of subtle earthy glazes to the HS instructor
because little kids seem to like unsophisticated bright colors. But
that was okay because he gave me red clay slip and he shares his
cutting tools and drape molds. And ADVICE!!!!! He's so helpful!

If you plan to make "fossil" dishes, or anything with an impressed
design (tiles?), glaze it with transparent or translucent glaze. My
favorites are Leaf green(LG-46) and Medium blue(LG-20).

There is an ArtsEdNetters whose elem. clay work is awesome, but
I cannot remember her name. She gave me advice on
underglazes. Her kids (3rd grade?) made small critters and used
Amoco Velvet underglazes and small brushes. Such control. I
hope someone points you her way.

Oh, one more thing. I prefer white clay(low fire) because it doesn't
stain. It is not as plastic as red, but it is good enough.

Jeannie in PA, K to 5th grade

> From: Fran Legman <flegman@comcast.net>
> Date: 2004/10/22 Fri PM 06:28:43 EDT
> To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu>
> Subject: Glazes for elementary school
>
> I am about to order glazes for my K-5 school. This is my first kiln
- big
> learning curve. What glazes do you prefer for this age group?
Does anyone
> use a slab roller in elementary? Fran in NJ
>

> ---
jean1@dejazzd.com
8673I@lists.getty.edu

---