Re: State Standards questions

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 04:53:47 PDT

Pam <pgstephens@npgcable.com> wrote:
Quick questions for you. If you have a moment, I'd appreciate your response.
This will be used to assist some undergraduate art ed students who are
researching how the standards impact art instruction.

Please respond to my personal email address rather than the list.

1. Does your state have academic standards for teaching art? Yes, they were officially passed almost two years ago, but the published book was given to us this year. I pulled them off of the state website two years ago.

2. Have you had training in using the standards? If yes, where?
NO

3. Are you required by your school or district to use your state standards
for each lesson? YES - They have started walk throughs and observances where they should be able to walk in and ask you what standard you are teaching that day and you should be able to tell them. Eventually, they want your lesson plans laying out on the desk so they can just walk in and follow along.

4. Regardless of school/district requirements, do you use the standards on a
regular basis? yes

5. Do you think that your state standards are too prescriptive? Too broad?
Just about right? depends on what grade level you are looking at. For middle school, I feel they raise the bar, which needs to happen, but it is an incredible amount of curriculum to cover in a "short" period of time.

Standards are a great step in accountability - the districts just don't value us enough to train arts teachers to do it. We are just all expected to "work magic".

Jancy In Ohio

---