RE: Help Getting large classes quiet

---------

From: Freeland, Sue (freelas_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 07:45:48 PDT

Heather,
Sorry this is late, when I used to teach middle school after recess I sometimes had to do some relaxation exercises...we closed our eyes, put our hands on the tables palms up, and took three cleansing breaths (deep breaths) then I slowwy and softly spoke to them about going to a place in their mind where they would rather be than in class. I would suggest a beach where you could hear the surf and the breeze, feel the sun on your face, etc. I would let them think for about 30 seconds or so. Then I would have them do 3more cleansing breaths and quietly I would give my instructions. Some would giggle but those usually are the more immature students and I would try and ignore them.

Even at the HS level we do it sometimes. I had a student drumming on the desk and stopped, did this and this student was SO Surprised!!! It calmed him right down, he then wanted to learn more about relaxation exercises.

Hope it helps,
Sue