RE: Room Decoration

---------

From: C Kerch (ckerch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 01:16:48 PDT

I redecorated my room this Summer but along with decorating it I had the
school remove the old carpet and replace my tables which were worn down to
it's fibercore. Anyway, my suggestion is PAINT...the first thing I did was
add new paint to my walls. I bought a warm white that brighten the room
without making it too bright. POSTERS... I bought new art posters, framed
artworks that I had laying around and mounted those to the wall. I used a
triangular arrangment for balance. MIX IT UP... move your desk around and
the tables in the classroom. I moved my desk from far corner wall to the
middle of the wall and it gave the room a whole new feeling. I then
rearranged the desks and this opened up the classroom. I moved shelves
around and basically flipped my classroom upside down. The result was
refreshing and when students and staff returned they loved it. DUMP the
CLUTTER... one of the biggest problems I had was clutter. Since I inherited
my artroom there was much that I didn't throw or put away. I took the time
at the end of last school year to go through everything. It took me three
days and 20 large trash bags but my students and I cleared out a lot of old,
unusable art supplies and other things that we had no idea what they were
used for. What other teachers didn't take was deposited into the trash or
taken to a the proper disposal area. I then repapered my supply closet
shelves, restocked and rearranged my supplies so that I had a workable
supply closet. A manageable student work area was set up in my now open
classroom for students to store their artwork. All that clutter took up so
much room and now I had open spaces to play with. PERSONAL TOUCHES... the
last thing I did was add a bit of me to the classroom. I painted a mural on
the supply closet door, I brought in an old wicker loveseat that I
cushioned, and old bookshelf that I store artbooks, crayons and paper. I
also added my favorite sunflowers arranged in various size vases throughout
the room. My personal touches reflect the comfort that I like to feel when
I'm creating art at home and students feel this when they enter my room. Do
what feels best for you. WHILE YOU WERE OUT... my favorite show on TLC. I
love watching the decorators and carpenters take a space and convert it two
days. Watching these type of home improvement shows can help give you
ideas. One episode they redid a classroom that was cool!

Good luck.

Mahalo,
Cathy
Honolulu, HI

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar get it now!