RE: School Children in Iraq Need Supplies

---------

From: Maude Ruesch (mruesch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 14:30:09 PDT

I'm with you on that, Denise.
Maude in VA

-----Original Message-----
From: cen_aca_dp [mailto:cen_aca_dp@nwoca.org]
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2004 12:05 PM
To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Subject: RE: School Children in Iraq Need Supplies

Warning: this is long, but I am passionate about our troops. :)

As many of you know, my husband returned in April after having served a year

long deployment in Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
While
he was there, he organized an Adopt-A-Village program in which my school and
local college adopted a school in a town in "The Stan". We collected and
sent
several hundred pounds of clothing, toiletries, and school supplies. In
particular, I sent loads of art supplies. Also, my students created "Peace
Doves" based on Pablo Picasso's works to be handed out. After months of
reconnaissance, the Army finally found a safe village and passed out the
supplies to the children there. These are children who go to school in
shifts
because they have a one room school. Imagine how grateful they were for all
they received. I even have a picture of a little boy, barely 4, holding onto
pair of sneakers, obviously way too big for him, his face beaming. I do wish
could share it with you...

Now to the point of my post (thank you for your patience!). I will
definitely
support Judy's efforts in sending supplies overseas for several reasons
(won't
mention them all here).
First of all, by sending supplies to the troops to hand out, you are
supporting them. The men and women who serve our country need ways of
reaching
out to the locals and showing their caring nature. My husband said that the
experience of helping those children was incredible.
Secondly, aren't we promoting a world of peace in our own simple way?
I would rather those children think fondly of Americans while drawing a
picture with their new markers than have them join in the hatred that is so
wide spread.

So, sign me up, Judy.

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH