Re: Liquid Tempera vs. Tempera Cakes?

---------

From: Christine Besack (mrsbeeswax_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 04:14:08 PDT

Hi Sandy and All,
    I use tempera cakes with my lower grades for certain projects. They are easy to get them started with, and for teaching the concept of not going into a new color before rinsing your brush. When they share these sat a table they really do police each other about rinsing !! (too funny)
    The quality of the plastic trays has seriously declined over the years so I put two sheets of 9/12 oaktag under them to avoid leakage all over the area and floor. They can stack this way temporarily, but let them dry out over night unstacked.(with out the oaktag the paint trays will stick together( can you tell I learned from experience :)
They are much more like watercolor (though opaque as someone else had mentioned) and less vibrant, but much less expensive and less clean up and prep than jar tempera. When used with very little water I was surprised at how opaque they can be. I didn't like them on Model Magic. (they never really seemed to dry fully, remained sticky) YUCK

Some day I will set up big liquid tempera with push squirt lids like for ketchup. That keeps getting whacked from the budget.
Hope this helps,
Christine Besack :)