Re: Engaging High School Students/an idea for you

---------

From: Madeline Fersko (maddy74_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 11:28:41 PDT

Hi Gabrielle:

I work with urban students in NYC. My undergrad degree is in art, but Im
currently teaching general ed..as I wont have my art certification until the
end of the year. Anyhow, my advice to you is to get your students thrown in
to the activity. I would say have a slab of clay on their desks as soon as
they enter the room. DOn't even give them any slides or background info, or
directions. Allow the students to investigate and explore the material on
their own and see what things on their own they can create. Then either
later that period, or else the next period now that the students interest in
the clay medium has hopefully been whetted....you can give some background
info...etc..
Slides can be kind of boring for the students if their just sitting for a
long while as yourt showing them. I'd suggest bringing in if you can
different examples of clay creations etc...allow the students to physically
observe and touch the objects...

Hope this helps:)
Madeline

>From: houstonia nerd <houstonianerd@yahoo.com>
>To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu>
>Subject: Re: Engaging High School Students
>Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:40:03 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Clay is supposed to be that big motivator...
>
>Perhaps the students aren't used to these types of questions in their
other classes or haven't figured out where the student-teachers questions
are coming from.

>My input is:
>Don't give into the silence/non-responsivness by answering the questions
yourself. Ask the question another way or break it down further, but don't
give up on the important, big questions!

>Also, Any response is a good response at this point. Make sure
students are made to feel good about contributing and fill in the blanks and
the connections that they may have missed by asking follow up questions to
reguide the next student who is thinking the right response, but hasn't
spoken up.

>Perhaps beginning with "What are your initial responses to this
work?" "Does it remind you of anything?" Very open ended
questions that may get them involved...

>Good luck - it takes a little time, but it's worth it when the dialogue
begins to flow more easily. Even in a "ghetto-proud" environment!

leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu