Re: kindergarten...art

---------

From: dkj (jouets_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 07:51:23 PDT

I just finished an long day with kindergartners and firsts... we did many
of the things suggested here. We read "Swimmy", discussed sea
creatures and practiced saying their names (medusa, jellyfish, anemone...),
we swayed in the ocean waves like anemones, we tried moving as one
big fish with our bodies, we made a long line and moved like an eel -
imagining what it might be like to not be sure of what your tail was
doing; we talked about how the author might have made so many
little fish without painting each one individually.
We painted the ocean blue-green with big sponges and tinted
starch on our papers. We printed large seaweeds (styrofoam with
cut up doilies stamps) and candy-rocks (cut up car sponges); we
printed sea stars/anemones/jellyfish creatures with bath netting
sponges, and stamped red fish all over or in shapes or patterns
with eraser-carved fish... and some solid black eraser-carved
fish (Swimmy). And we had probably 15 or 20 minutes left in
the hour (not counting clean-up time).
Some children made smaller ocean pictures using markers and
the stamps, some chose to play with blocks, etc.
All this was after I had spent countless hours over the weekend
purchasing sponges and bath netting and doilies, cutting and gluing,
carving 25 erasers for the stamps (this would be the second set -
the first one I cut out of foam but discovered that they were too hard to
stamp without smearing all over the place).
I still consider myself a beginning teacher (this is the beginning of
my 4th year, and I am part-time)... obviously I have much still to learn
about teaching, time management, etc.
I do appreciate everyone sharing how they run their classrooms,
engage their students, handle discipline, create curriculums,
and live to tell about it! Thank you!
Deborah