RE: Yearbook questions....

---------

From: C Kerch (ckerch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 00:56:36 PDT

Sharon,
I use a combination, LifeTouch WebEase (online yearbook software) Adobe
Pagemaker (similar to Microsoft Publisher) and Adobe Photoshop. I do the
composite photos online with the WebEase software which is limited in its
selection of layouts but saves time with the placing all the headshots and
names in place and since it's just composite photos of classes and staff I
don't mind. For the rest of the book, I do the layout in Adobe Pagemaker
and use Photoshop to add graphic elements, crop, reduce, and convert images.
  Once I've got my pages created I save them two ways, one as PSD which is
Adobe's file that I can edit later and a second copy as a jpeg which I
upload to the online yearbook site and drop into the page directly or I
print them out on matte photopaper, paste it to the copyboard, and submit it
to the printer to drop in for me (these are usually my montage pages).

Publisher is a good program and has similar features as Adobe Pagemaker but
it is more user freindly and has a variety of templates that you can use for
the yearbook pages. It is also a easy program to learn and if you have
students helping you they will pick it up quickly. Publisher is also a heck
of a lot cheaper than Adobe Pagemaker. The online yearbook software is
restrictive and expensive. Our school was a test school for the use of
LifeTouch WebEase in Hawaii so we got a break the first year using it... now
the cost has gone up and I'm thinking of dropping the online software for
next year. Since Adobe Pagemaker is only accessible on my computer, I
usually have the students create their yearbook layouts in Microsoft Word,
save, and print it on photopaper or I take their saved document transfer it
to PageMaker and save it as a jpeg which they later upload to the online
yearbook site. It is amazing how creative my students are with Microsoft
Word.

I hope this helps.

Mahalo,
Cathy