Re: Engaging High School Students

---------

From: houstonia nerd (houstonianerd_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 17:40:03 PDT

Clay is supposed to be that big motivator...

Perhaps the students aren't used to these types of questions in their other classes or haven't figured out where the student-teachers questions are coming from.

My input is:
Don't give into the silence/non-responsivness by answering the questions yourself. Ask the question another way or break it down further, but don't give up on the important, big questions!

Also, Any response is a good response at this point. Make sure students are made to feel good about contributing and fill in the blanks and the connections that they may have missed by asking follow up questions to reguide the next student who is thinking the right response, but hasn't spoken up.

Perhaps beginning with "What are your initial responses to this work?" "Does it remind you of anything?" Very open ended questions that may get them involved...

Good luck - it takes a little time, but it's worth it when the dialogue begins to flow more easily. Even in a "ghetto-proud" environment!

Gabrielle Bliss <Gabrielle.Bliss@mpls.k12.mn.us> wrote:
your thoughts please:
I just watched my student teacher try to engage our students in a well
though out and well planned presentation on relief sculpture. 2
culturally relevant slides for the students to look at. Clay relief
sculptures to follow. They were pathetically unengaged. She used the
traditional show the slides up front and asked questions. Does anyone
have other strategies on how you might engage Urban High School
students in learning?????????????(I know, not a new topic)
Gabrielle