re: Weekly Schedule

---------

From: Christine Besack (mrsbeeswax_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 04:59:35 PDT

Hi All, Unfortunately, I read back in JMJ's posts and saw that she is teaching at a PRIVATE school.

thus.. none of the union stuff applies.
I am glad that many of you also work at private schools and can advise her on how to handle this situation , professionally.
 My schedule this year has a lot of prep time in it, we are down on enrollment, and the board is talking about closing one or 2 elementary schools next year (eek ).
I am not "low man" in seniority, so I will continue to be employed, but might have to switch a school or two.
We can be pulled for coverage when a classroom teacher is out without a sub. that is just a fact of life (deemed by contract an emergency situation) fortunately this does not happen every week !
 I teach 40 minute classes to grades 1 through 5. All teachers are guaranteed 50 minutes of uninterrupted lunch.
Mon 5 classes
Tue 5
Wed 4 travel to other school
Thurs6 classes
Friday 4 classes
I also do recess art groups (20 minutes small groups sign up in the morning if they want to come in) fills up my schedule more on paper)

My increased prep time means that I no longer stay til 8:30 at night doing what is supposed to be done during the school day !!!!! (I know you all can relate !) Displays, lesson planning, grading and room maintenance (labeling stacking reorganizing) are what you are SUPPOSED to be doing with YOUR prep time. PREPARING for YOUR art classes.
This type of Art teacher abuse really makes my blood boil.
I definitely would sit down with the principal and discuss the fact that free time is PREP time, time to prepare for your classes. Also emphasize that you are having to stay late to finish work required for the job YOU WERE ACTUALLY HIRED FOR.
take notes with you, sometimes when confronted, all of the great responses fly right out of your head.
Go in calm and ready with info to discuss.

Good luck, Hope this helps,
Christine Besack :)

---