Re: daily schedule

---------

From: Cathy Gaul (allgaul_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 04:59:50 PDT

This is what I was given, take it or leave it. I teach in a small private
Friends School having budget problems left over from the last several years
with admin changes. Our newest one is determined to balance the budget. She
promptly replaced part time people with full time people and increased admin
from 3 full timers to 7 fulltimers and cut all aides and all special
teachers are now considered 'contact hour' employees. She calls them
teachers, but it feels like we are subcontractors. Our contact hours are 'at
best' 12.5 hours so that is what we are paid for. They figured my contact
hours (with kids) at 10.25. I was always teaching 2.5 DAYS...and had breaks
etc. Now I am working 3 days. I am not scheduled to teach before 10:30 am. I
am expected to be at faculty meetings at 7:30 AM, special subject meetings
at 7:30 AM, Meeting for worship at 9:15-10:45 on Wednesdays and 3 open
houses off school hours, plus all the programs and activities that are
scheduled during the school year. I am embarrassed to tell you how much I
bring home each month. Other than that, I LOVE my schedule and the freedom
to develop my own agenda in the art room and the kids and classes are
great...
I try not to come to school before 9:30 for obvious reasons....
10:30-12 6th on Monday, 7th on Tuesday, 8th on Thursday.
12-12:30 lunch (not paid)
12:30-12:45 prep time (paid)
12:45-1:45 4th, 2nd, 3rd (T, W, Th)
1:50-2:50 or 3:05 depending on grade 5th, 2nd, 1st
We are expected to stay til 3:30. I am usually there cleaning and getting
ready for the next day til at least 4.
I am tired of giving and giving because of the mismanaged funds from
previous admins plus a huge drop in enrollment because of previous admins.
Eh, what are you going to do? My husband says let this be my last year for
many other reasons, but it is yet to be determined what I would do next. I
have been at this school for 15 years. It is run by a 'school committee' of
members of the Meeting. Only a very few of them are educators or have had
any experience in a school other than attending one. The one in charge is a
labor lawyer, so figure!
Having the kids once a week for an hour or more is a real luxury. Notice I
do not teach any classes lower than 1st grade! I am quite happy about that
since they start at pre-K 3 year olds. That is why my 'contact' hours are
lower and I actually get 45 minutes a week of paid prep time.
I am considering submitting my other necessary hours to the FULL TIME
director of development as a charitable contribution, just like I did for
the TV, VCR, 2 CPU's, extra supplies I didn't have the budget for....

Cathy

---