Web Exhibit - Multi media - on Womens' Issues (Social comment)

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 10 2004 - 08:43:28 PDT

Dear Artists and Art Educators,

Pardon the multiple list posting...but I wanted to
catch as many art educators as possible. Marcia Yerman
(http://www.marciagyerman.com/) sent me this web
exhibit project she is working on. She was
instrumental in bringing this group of women together
to pay tribute to the Abused women in Juarez. The
names of the murdered/missing women scroll at the
bottom - the name of the artists are at the top.

gender [f]
http://www.gender-f.com
(Lesson idea below)

About this exhibit (copied from site):

gender[f] addresses issues of gender, racial and
economic biases resulting in systemic violence against
women and minorities.

This project arises from the unseemly juxtaposition of
a "war on terror" with the every day realities faced
by women living in cultures that enforce female
circumcision, do not give equal value for equal work
based on cultural bias, tacitly accept violent
domestic situations, use sexual intimidation as a
military tactic and fear of reprisal as a cultural
control.

The name, gender[f], designates a programmatic
function. The function ? gender ? holds an unlimited,
presently undefined array ? [f] ? the identities,
issues and/or representations of women in society.

This work is dedicated to the the over 400 murdered
and disappeared women of Juarez who worked in the
maquiladoras of Juarez.
-----------------------------------

LESSON IDEA - Middle School - High School

I have looked at every work - some tradtional
materials - writings/poetry - multimedia - web -
flash... I know you will NOT want to turn your
students lose to explore. I would recommend selecting
some to highlight and show. I highly recommend the
work of Sally Young (scroll down to her)....This is
something you CAN do...Maybe even interdisciplinary
with language arts. Your students do a collage and
Language arts write the headline poetry....Then the
computer classes can turn it into Flash...Just a
thought. Or do low technology - your students could
write their own head line poem and just display the
poem next to the collage. The head line poem could be
a time filler type thing for kids who finish early,
too (remember "differentiation"?). Students who are
straggling behind could do some Barbara Kruger type
words (done in Word and cut out)- or a quote....

I know many of you do not like "long posts" - but
since users of Incredible Art Department want ideas
most (Survey done on Art Education list only)... all
of my posts will have at least one lesson idea
included with each link I share to the lists.

Judy Decker

P.S. My mini vent for today...grin ...Why are long
posts considered rude? Please don't answer to the
list.

P.P.S. My favorite Marcia Yerman "If I don't do it..."
http://www.marciagyerman.com/pp/ifidont.html