Re: Your Weekly Schedule

---------

From: Rick Larson (jrlarson51_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 10 2004 - 07:15:09 PDT

Jmj, I have been round and round on this schduling bandwagon for years, as many listmembers can tell you. First of all, document, then talk to your union, then become active in your union, You are not the aide for the other teachers, that is discriminatory and says that you are not entitled to the same level of respect and plan time as other classroom teachers. Check your contract about lunch/plan pupil load, etc. Having said all of that, I teach 5- fifty minutes three days a week, plus one half hour remediation/enrichment four days a week. It is not the ideal schedule for art, but is better than what I have had in the past. I have the same planning as the regular classroom teachers. This took a long time to get, but I stuck with it, and will continue to do so as long as my administrator is in our school. It really helped becoming part and Active in our union. Let your administrator know that hanging work, and prepping supplies takes a lot of time. Also, arranging for art competitions for the older classes, or displays.
Try to get as much work out in to the community and be visible to get public support behind you. If you can get some good pr' then your principle will be more likely to leave you be. In the mean time- make your lessons manageable so you don't get burned out- Do the same lessons with modifications when you can. Don't have all of the classes doing lessons that take alot of prep. As Always, this is just my 2 cents worth. Good luck- hang in there. -It really will be worth it in the end.
Betsy