Re: Your Weekly Schedule

---------

From: Jennifer Maria (jenniemar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 10 2004 - 06:17:49 PDT

That is a crazy schedule! Again- (someone else recommended this) check out your hours because you should have a cap on how many you can teach a day. I know that I am taken advantage of at my Junior High - I teach 7 classes to everyone else's 6. We are on block schedule and all the other teachers (oooh that sounds whine-ey) get a conference time of 1 1/2 hours a day and only teach 3 classes a day. We get a 40 minute lunch.
I teach all day every other day (Gold days) and on alternating days (black days) have my hour and a half conference/planning time. The principal justifies this in not making me do bus duty.

Black days- 1st block- advanced art
                   2nd block- ceramics
                  lunch
                   3rd block- Art 1
                   4th block-Art 1

Gold days- 5th block- conference/planning
                 6th block- ceramics
                 7th block- Art 1
                 8th block- Art 1

(the blocks are 1 1/2 hours long- nice for prep and clean up)

My principal supports me in EVERYTHING I do and gets me pretty much anything I want.
The other teachers know that I am not a sign maker or party decorator. I do have students that will help with that though.
Learn how to say no politely. With a smile.

Reading this list and talking to other art instructors at conventions lets me know that I am completely spoiled now. But I don't let that on to my principal!!!!

Jennifer Phillips