RE: need Renaissance shield ideas

---------

From: C Kerch (ckerch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 10 2004 - 01:45:40 PDT

I would have the students come up with their own crest design that reflects
their character. As a bit of inspiration I would also use the crest designs
from the four houses in the book Harry Potter as inspiration... Griffindorf,
Slytherin, RavenClaw, and Hofflepuff. As the students what each house
represents and what type of characteristics each house is known for.
Explain to the students that sheilds often represeneted the medivel knights'
family or clan much like how the students at Hogwarts belong to their houses
and their sheilds hang from the walls of the school. Have the students
brainstorm on what images represent their characteristics...e.g. brave
(lion), fierce (dragon), loving (puppy or kitten or some type of pet), smart
(owl), etc. then have the students use either one or two characters which
they draw onto the poster board and then paint the shields using only two
complimentary colors of their choice (red and green or orange and blue or
yellow and purple) and outline with black marker. With this grade level I
would use glitter to outline the shape of the circle shield to give it a
little sparkle since this will be hanging on the wall for a dance. If you
are going for authenticity then I would not use glitter and stick to earthy
colors like red, yellow, brown and black.

Mahalo,
Cathy
Honolulu, HI