Re: Your Weekly Schedule

---------

From: K A (arizkma_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 10 2004 - 01:19:45 PDT

I teach four back to back morning classes and three back to back afternoon classes at a different school (all elementary). Actually, it's five classes in the morning, because the kindergarten class is only for 20 min., so I see two kindergartens each day. All the other classes are 40 min. long. I have exactly 60 minutes between my two schools for lunch and travel and prep. That adds up to 24 different classes each week, and a total of 40 class periods. At one school I see the students every three days, and at the other it's every four days.

Hmmm, anything you can do about that "assisting" other teachers requirement? How much actual prep time do you end up having?

~ Kathleen
JMJ Smith <jmj_s@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello All! I'm the new art teacher who was ready to quit a few weeks ago. I'm still hanging in there! My days go by so fast, but I just don't seem to have enough time to plan lessons, set up/clean up between classes, grade projects and sketchbooks, hang student artwork, etc. I'm teaching 20 classes per week (PreK-12), plus I was informed (after I was hired) that I would have to assist several classroom teachers during some of my "free time" slots. I've been helping them with such things as grading papers and cutting construction paper for their classroom projects. Meanwhile, I've been working late every evening trying to catch up on my art workload. I hate to complain, but I'm feeling overwhelmed. I don't even take a lunch break. I spend that time preparing for my afternoon classes.

I'd like to get an idea of what other art teacher's schedules are like. Would you mind sharing your weekly schedule with me? In addition, any advice would be appreciated! You may email me directly if you prefer. Thanks so much.