RE: Mondrian and the good ole panty hose sculpture

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 09 2004 - 08:02:36 PDT

This is a great idea! Thanks.
Jan

        -----Original Message-----
        From: ARTNSOUL12@aol.com [mailto:ARTNSOUL12@aol.com]
        Sent: Sat 10/9/2004 7:55 AM
        To: ArtsEdNet Talk
        Subject: Mondrian and the good ole panty hose sculpture

        In a message dated 10/08/2004 4:02:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, HillmJan@Berkeleyprep.org writes:

                http://www.snap-dragon.com/homage.htm

                This site has many homages to Mondrian. Some great ideas are in the Mondrian Animal links, too.

        Thanks for this site, Jan. I have another suggestion for a lesson using Mondrian for a motivation:
        Create Bunki's (or was it Sharon's original idea) panty hose sculpture. Paint the whole sculpture white using tempera or acrylic, (even gesso will work). Discuss Mondrian's use of primary colors and how he achieves balance through the use of those colors. Then, ask the students to achieve this balance by translating it to their sculptures with sections of red, blue, and yellow. First, they need to divide the area of their sculptures with painted black lines, then fill in areas with color to achieve this balance, leaving area of white as well. As part of their plan, I encouraged my 5th graders to continually turn their sculptures when they were deciding on a design and to write a "b", "r", and "y" in pencil to designate that area of color.

        Of course, the computer literately challenged Susan on Long Island doesn't have any pictures to show you- sorry! But, trust me, they were all successful! Every one got the concept behind Mondrian's genius use of color balance.