Re: A.P. ideas and resources

---------

From: Peggy Woolsey (eoolspeg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 09 2004 - 07:47:10 PDT

On Saturday, October 9, 2004, at 08:28 AM, Randy Menninghaus wrote:

> I had an art student (not mine but the other art teacher at our high
> school's)that came to me yesterday and asked about a.p. Art history.
> She
> has decided to take the exam on her own.

Almost every year I have a student or two that wants to try the AP art
history exam. We have no Art History course at the school. I don't
really understand how we can teach history courses, but not have an art
history course, but that is another story. I have only had one student
who took the exam and passed it with a score of 3. She had a lot of
help from her mother and had travelled on exchange to Europe, visiting
many museums there. The other students drop out early (and then they
are a problem because they are independent study and need supervision).
  I think it is almost impossible for students to do the necessary study
to go this course alone. It's huge. There is heavy emphasis on
architecture, which many students bypass in their efforts to take in
B.C.E and the visual art movements of the C.E. I taught art history at
the college level and many of those students would not have been able
to pass the AP art history exam. But that's another story. So I think
you are wise Randy to sadly, but gently and firmly step aside from this
one.
Peggy

---