A.P. ideas and resources

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 09 2004 - 04:28:38 PDT

I had an art student (not mine but the other art teacher at our high
school's)that came to me yesterday and asked about a.p. Art history. She
has decided to take the exam on her own. I had a candid discussion about
what she currently is getting, gently saying it would not cut it for this
exam as I trained to teach it ten years ago. (Pablum is what she has
gotten so far ,as the other H. S. art teacher at our school taught k-3 for
20 years before coming here.. then ended up at our school..a very long
story but the other art teacher is absent from school about 30 days a year,
has mental health issues, and thinks art history is showing the Keith
Haring video, giving coloring pages of his art to the students to color and
then give them three lines of notes. she has them next copy Haring
artworks as the final arts experience. grrr... scream ...grrr)

SOOOO I told this student that I would do a web search for her.I did and
found The A.P. Central site has MANY useful sites for art teachers in
general. Ones that I had not yet stumbled upon. I have decided that am not
going to get involved in this student other than to provide her : sites,
the time table of what she should learn and when, a book they suggested on
the site and that she has to order the exam and find some where that is
sitting the exam on the date she wants it. Phew.

 Peace, joy and I am off to go make some art .Randy in sunny Maine

PS I am not slamming K-3 teacher here, only saying that the developmental
level is much more complex at ages 14-18, but that this teacherhas not made
the leap and had no significant art history when she did her degree 30
years ago.

---